Search This Blog

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Priestly Blessings

Lectio: 

Numbers: 6:22-27

The LORD said to Moses: 
"Speak to Aaron and his sons and tell them: 
This is how you shall bless the Israelites.
Say to them:
The LORD bless you and keep you!
The LORD let his face shine upon
you, and be gracious to you!
The LORD look upon you kindly and
give you peace!
So shall they invoke my name upon the Israelites, 
and I will bless them."

Studium:

Numbers is the fourth book of the Pentateuch.  It continues the Exodus journey.  It is called “Numbers” because it includes two accounts of “numbering” the Hebrew tribes.  It gathers different laws and rituals that will be further developed in later times.
This particular passage is called “the priestly blessing,” which was said at the end of the service.  It was an appropriate send-off for the priest to bless the people.

Meditatio:

There are three blessings in these verses.  Think about them and let them sink in:
·         The Lord bless you and keep you!  May you always feel loved and protected by the Almighty.
·         The let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you!  May you feel His goodness always.
·         The Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace!  May you have peace in knowing Him.

Oratio:

Heavenly Father, as I begin this new calendar year, help me keep my resolution to carry You with me throughout my days.  I want to feel Your presence, always.  I want Your Will to be mine.  Send down Your blessings upon me.  Amen

Contemplatio:

Bless me Lord for all I want to be is Your child.


No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...