Search This Blog

Monday, September 22, 2014

New Insight

Father Wally was talking about Sunday's Gospel, Matthew 20:1-16a.  In discussion with my "cloistered brothers," I was given a new insight.  This Gospel about the landowner paying everyone the same, no matter how long they worked, used to incense me.  I even expressed my anger on another blog.  I knew that the parable was supposed to be encouraging, especially for my "cloistered brothers."  However, it was just unfair.  Tonight, however, someone asked a good question, "Why do you suppose no one hired these workers?"

I had never given that a thought.

Some answers were that these workers were too old to work.  Maybe they were crippled.  There had to be something wrong with them, or they would have been hired.

If these reasons were true, then that landowner did exactly what I would have done.  I would have been generous and told anyone complaining that it was my choice what to do with my money--exactly what the landowner did in Matthew 20: 15.

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...