Search This Blog

Monday, September 1, 2014

Miracles and Beauty


There was a discussion on Facebook about miracles.  Specifically, why doesn't God perform miracles in front of atheists and bring them back to faith.  One commenter said He did, look at the book of Exodus.  Time after time, God performed miracles and the people would still turn away from God.

An interesting comment was about Marie Bailly and Dr. Alexis Carrel.  Since I never heard of either one, I googled the names.  I found their stories very interesting.  You will, too.  Dr.  Carrel was a surgeon who doubted. You know the ones who think they're being scientific and above faith.

Carrel wanted to see for himself about all this miracle stuff happening at Lourdes.  He did and still didn't believe it.  He saw Marie Bailly be cured.  She was dying of tuberculous peritonitis.  Water from Lourdes was poured over her abdomen and a miracle happened.

Carrel downplayed it.

You know what I think.  I think miracles are like beauty.  They depend on the eye of the beholder.

Read the story at Catholic Culture.

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...