Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2014

It's Nice to be Wanted, But...

As I was preparing the readings for the Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time, the second reading had much for me to reflect upon.  It's Philippians 1:20c-24, 27a.  I too, as Paul, am looking forward to seeing Jesus.  In other words, I'm looking forward to death.  But like Paul, I know that others need me.  So I leave it up to God.  He knows best.  I trust Him.

This morning, as I proclaimed this second reading, I thought of the Mass celebrant, Father Jack.  I bet he also is looking forward to seeing Jesus, yet we parishioners love and need him.  The Archdiocese of Boston needs him.

When you think of it, every Lay Dominican is in the same boat.  We are looking forward to meeting Jesus, yet as lay people, we have families and obligations that need us.

 The same could be true of all people who take their religion seriously, couldn't it?

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...