Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

The Plot is a Plot

This is my first Eleanor Roosevelt Mystery.  I didn't even know they existed. St. Mary's Book Club chose The White House Pantry Murder by Elliott Roosevelt for January.  The setting is Franklin Roosevelt's White House and the time is set for Christmas 1941 just as the US entered WWII.

I didn't know that Eleanor was a major character and that she would be involved in solving the crime, nor that there are other mysteries with her as the sleuth, either.  I learned that after reading.  I also thought the story was true or at least based on actual events because the author gives a biography of a few of the interesting characters.  I had to look at the ISBN page to make sure it said FICTION.

The plot is a plot.  The enemy, the Nazis, have infiltrated the White House.  I won't spoil the suspense but you never know if the bad guy has been caught, or are there more.  And whomever you suspect may or may not be guilty.  I was right and I was wrong.

The purpose of the plot was to kill Franklin, Churchill too, if possible, and/or cause as much mayhem as possible.  To highlight the danger, let me tell you that this was a suicide mission.

I enjoyed the interaction with Churchill.  From what I've read, heard, and have seen in movies, Churchill's characterization was accurate.  He was stubborn, impetuous, a voracious reader, liked to take baths and took the time to craft and practice speaking his speeches.

I was surprised at how much everyone smoked and drank.  But that was a different era.  It was an easy read and since the setting was Christmas and that hectic time was made even more hectic with murders and murderers running around the White House, it made me exclaim, "And I think my Christmas season is busy!"



No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...