Search This Blog

Thursday, December 26, 2019

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT: A TSW CHRISTMAS CARD

Father Gordon Macrae's latest post on TSW is his Christmas card to us. LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT: A TSW CHRISTMAS CARD   This is my favorite part:

I am forced by circumstance to live in a place with men who are banished, not just from home and family and freedom, but too often also from hope. Some with even the darkest pasts have come into the light to thrill us with their stories of grace and true repentance and conversion. You have read of several in these pages and there are other stories yet to come. For some of these wounded men become saints, I am not fit to fasten their sandals.
We live East of Eden, a place from which the Magi of the Gospel saw a star and heard good news, the very best of news: Freedom can be found in only one place, and the way there is to follow the Star they followed. If you follow These Stone Walls, never follow me. Follow only Christ.
My Christmas card to you is this message, a tradition of sorts behind These Stone Walls. My small, barred cell window faces due West so my gaze is always out of the East. On this cold and gray December day, the sun will soon be setting behind the high prison wall, glistening upon its razor wire like tinsel. I sit in this spot every Christmas eve to watch its final descent behind the wall that is my view of the world at Christmas for the 21st time.
I offer this moment for you, for TSW readers the world over, and I offer for you this prayer, “Lead, Kindly Light,” my favorite verse from the newly canonized Saint John Henry Newman:
  • Lead, Kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom,
    Lead Thou me on;
    The night is dark, and I am far from home;
    Lead Thou me on.
  • I was not ever thus,
    Nor prayed that Thou shouldst lead me on;
    I loved to choose and see my path,
    but now, Lead Thou me on.
  • I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
    Pride ruled my will: Remember not past years.
    So long Thy power hath blessed me,
    Sure it still will lead me on,
  • O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent,
    Til the night is gone,
    And with the morn those Angel faces smile,
    Which I have loved long since,
    and lost awhile.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...