Search This Blog

Thursday, December 19, 2019

My Christmas Present

A Christmas present to myself.





















When I was a child, the movie, Song of Bernadette was around and everyone was wearing a miraculous medal.  I don't really remember the movie but the beautiful medal left an impression on me.  It wasn't just a silver or gold medal; it was blue.  I have always wanted one.  I have many silver medals but not one with blue enamel. Well, this Christmas, I bought one for myself.

The front of the medal is exactly as Catherine saw Our Lady, standing on a globe, with dazzling rays of light streaming from her outstretched hands. Framing the figure was an inscription: “O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.”  All these words are hard to distinguish, but they're there.

The detail on the back is even harder to see. The vision then seemed to turn to show the reverse of the Medal: the letter M surmounted by a cross with a bar at its base; below this monogram, the Sacred Heart of Jesus crowned with thorns, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary pierced with a sword. This is there.

However, on the back, at the very bottom are at least two words that are indecipherable.  I guess the words are telling us where the medal was made.

This medal is called the Miraculous Medal because of so many miracles that occurred when people wore it.  I was attracted to it as a child, and now, once I saw that the back has the Sacred Heart of Jesus on it, I was determined to get one for myself. Why?

The story of the Miraculous Medal is here.    

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...