Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2018

Lonesome Dove

When I was working the book sale at the local library, a fellow worker and friend, threw me the book, Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry.  "You will love this."  I looked at it.  It was huge and had a cowboy on the cover.  I raised an eyebrow.  "Trust me," he said. 

I am so glad I did because I do love it.  I have never read a western in my life.  I don't think I will again unless it's by Larry McMurtry.  I think it will be an excellent read for a book club because it will be so different than their usual recommended titles. I bet they've never read a western.

The descriptions and characterization are drawn so exquisitely that I can picture them.  I couldn't wait to continue to get back to the story every time I had to put the book down.  I grew up watching westerns and Lonesome Dove brought back some cherished memories.  Although my childish memories of cattle drives were nothing like the one in this book, from Texas to Montana.

And the ordeal that Lorie suffered will forever haunt me. 

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...