Search This Blog

Friday, July 21, 2023

Conversational Prayer

 What else do you call it?  Heartfelt prayer--but isn't the Our Father prayer, heartfelt?  It can be.  

But what do you call it when you are riding in the car and carry on a conversation with God as if He were sitting in the passenger seat?

    What a beautiful day!  Thank you, Lord.
    Ooops!  There goes an ambulance.  Let's
    pray for the person in need, and also the
    loved ones of that person.  Oh look.  A 
    speed trap.  I'm inclined to pray for the
    cop not to catch anyone. But again, maybe
    catching someone speeding will save their 
    life or another's life.  You know best, Lord.
     I leave it up to you.

See.  That's what I mean as conversational prayer.  I do this all day.  My favorite prayer though is Lectio Divina.  Then there are rote prayers, like the Rosary, Litanies, Novena's and Chaplets.  Lest I forget the Mass.  During the Mass all the above prayers are used.  Plus music.  Since I'm not a music person, I never think of praying with music.  If it weren't for music during the Mass, I would never sing to God.  

I was telling this to God, the other day.  He said that He gave me a good voice.  I told Him that I didn't think so and if He did, why didn't He give me the talent to carry a tune?  

We argued about it for a while until I tried to sing Here I Am.  That abruptly ended the conversation.



No comments:

The Last Believers

  The Women by Kristin Hannah is a wonderful story about a woman’s experience working as a nurse during the Vietnam War. It’s heart wrenchi...