Search This Blog

Friday, March 7, 2014

How Do You Pray?


It strikes me ironically that in RCIA I talked about prayer, yesterday.  Today everything I read has "prayer," as the topic.  This morning's reading was a homily by St. John Chrysostom:

Prayer and converse with God is a supreme good: it is a partnership and union with God.  As the eyes of the body are enlightened when they see light, so our spirit, when it is intent on God, is illumined by his infinite light.  I do not mean the prayer of outward observance but prayer from the heart, not confined to fixed times or periods but continuous throughout the day and night.

"Prayer and converse with God," is simply talking to God.  St. John Chrysostom is asking us to talk to God all day.  Make God your friend, and talk to Him as a friend.

I went to spiritual direction to learn to pray.  I remember the SpD said the Holy Spirit is the best teacher.  I took that to mean that He will move me to pray and tell me what to say.  Looking back, he was right.  For many years I just prayed the time honored prayers, e.i. the Lord's Prayer, Hail Mary, the Rosary.  Every once in awhile I'd try to just talk to God, from my heart, but I felt awkward.  I did it anyway.

Looking over my blog posts, I can see my progression.  I went from only praying the Lord's Prayer, to preferring my own prayers.

Look here and here. I use to say that my favorite prayer was the Salve Regina.  Nowadays I say that my favorite prayers are my own.  I like to pray and today I feel very called to prayer.

Black Masking Indians

 The church, St. Augustine, is the oldest Black Catholic parish in the United States, located in Treme, Louisianna.  Tremé is the oldest Afr...