Search This Blog

Monday, February 16, 2015

Consecration to Mary for the 21st Century/A Lenten Journey


Consecration to Mary for the 21st Century

Lenten Journey--40 days
1.  Introduction: Spirit of the world, knowing oneself, knowing Mary, knowing Jesus, and final preparation.
2.  Recommended prayers
3.  Daily meditations
4.  Act of Consecration

Preface

It is my hope that my Lenten Consecration to Mary will be of assistance to somebody!  My apologies to Saint Louis de Monfort's True Devotion Consecration to Mary by Fr. Helmuts Libietis.  I tried, and in fact, did complete all of the saint's five week (55 days) of prayers, daily meditations and spiritual guidance.  I was faithful to the point of stupidity.  I pushed myself to read with eyes glazed over in ennui,  I prayed something--with lips, if not my mind.  But as de Montfort said himself:

       Do not fear distractions.  They often make prayer more powerful and meritorious
       when we are faithful in driving them away and thus showing our desire to remain
        in the presence of God.

Hence, I was inspired to modernize St. Louis de Montfort's True Devotion Consecration to Mary.  Today's culture with its demanding pace of living, just is not conducive to de Montfort's consecration.  I, myself, would not have been able to undertake this consecration endavor were it not for the fact that I am retired.  I do not have a job.  Consequently, I can arrange my time around de Montfort's daily schedule requirements.

Even more than the daily prayer demands, the outdated language and medieval sources of meditation are beyond today's imagination, let alone any
acceptable common perceptions of holiness.  De Montfort's book sorely needs updating.  This is why I am attempting to adapt his ideas to fit into today's working person's schedule.  I hope like like St. Louis de Montfort, that your journey through the consecration will bring you closer to Mary.  I know Mary will straighten out my inadequacies.  The end result will lead you to Jesus.  You and Mary, together, will see Jesus throuogh the eyes of love.

This is my intention for composing this Lenten Consecration.  This is my prayer through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...