Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Gabriel's Message



There's an old Christmas Carol entitled Gabriel's Message.  It's not that popular a Christmas hymn, however, it has been sung by some popular artists, e.i. Sting, Charlotte Church, Terry McDade, Jars of Clay, etc.  The ballad itself tells the story of the  Annunciation of Jesus to Mary, (Luke 1: 26-38 and part of the Magnificat).  The tune to me has a medieval tinge to it, but it was written in the nineteenth century as a Basque Christmas folk tune.

Since today is the day the Church celebrates the Annunciation, "Gabriel's Message," came to mind.  This is the day we celebrate Jesus conception.  Also the day, I begin my nine month novena, which will end when Jesus is born, Christmas.  

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...