Search This Blog

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Eleanor

St. Mary's Book Club's book for this month is Eleanor A Spiritual Biography The Faith of the 20th Century's Most Influential Woman, by Harold Ivan Smith.  I had difficulty in procuring this book through the Minuteman Library System.  There was one book circulating but I did sign up.  The Sails Library System had none.  Amazon wanted $ 17.00 and the Kindle version is $ 16.00. But what if I don't like it.  I've wasted $ 17-16! 

I decided I wasn't going to bother.  When the book club discussion came around, I was going to offer the suggestion that we check the availability of our book suggestions.

Then I got an email saying the library had my book!

It is a noteworthy book.  Well written, well researched and easy to read.  Eleanor was a Christian woman and followed Christ throughout her life.  She had a miserable childhood.  But she was introduced to Jesus and was shaped by His teachings.   Even when she married, her mother-in-law could and sometimes did, make life uncomfortable but she trusted that God had a plan and she trusted Him.  Then when Franklin became president she blossomed.

She became his legs and muse.  She wrote a syndicated newspaper column and magazine articles.  After being First Lady she became our ambassador to the United Nations. Many criticized but she rose above the fray. 

She was her own person, a child of God.  Thanks be to God.


No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...