Cardinal O'Malley, in explaining the Portiuncula Indulgence, which is August 2, gives us a good anecdote in explaining indulgences.
"I want to mention something about indulgences, which are often misunderstood. Indulgences are not forgiveness for sin but forgiveness for temporal punishment due to sin.
I like to explain it to people with the following story:
As a child, once I came home very late for dinner. My mother was very upset, and seeing how upset she was, I felt very repentant and I told her that it would never happen again. She told me she forgave me, but as my punishment I would have to do the dishes.
So there was repentance and forgiveness, but there was still punishment.
But, as I started doing the dishes, my nana came in and said, “I will help you.”
That is an indulgence."
And I think I should start paying more attention to indulgences!
Amen.
Search This Blog
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Not Ship-Shape
The Woman in Cabin 10 b y Ruth Ware is called a psychological thriller. To me it means that the protagonist, Lauren, will drive you crazy...
-
St Dominic and the Devil by Pietro della Vecchia D Don't you just love legends? I mean stories. St. Dominic stories abound. Of cou...
-
Yesterday, I posted about a sculpture on the top of a column in the church of St. Mary Magdalen , in Vezelay, France . Meditating upon the...
-
My Lay Dominican Chapter, Our Lady of Mercy, has the best spiritual director. Today he gave us, what my "cloistered brothers" ca...
No comments:
Post a Comment