Search This Blog

Saturday, July 27, 2024

My View on the Olympics

 Right up front, I'll tell you that I love the Olympics.  I like sports and I like to see the highest achievements.  Yesterday, as I watched the opening ceremony, I was flipping channels to watch the Red Sox and Yankees baseball games.  Red Sox and Yankees are always good games.  At first the Yankees were ahead, then the Red Sox, then the Yankees, then they were tied, and finally the Red Sox won.  Great show.

As for the Olympics show, it was too much, too all encompassing, too "over the top", and too confusing.  For the majority of it, I didn't know what I was watching. Venues were shown, e.i., Tahiti, Bordeau, Lyon, Marsailles, Trocadero, etc., and then back to the parade of athletes on the Seine.  The light shows were amazing.  The entertainers were good.  I was amazed at the work that was put into the production of the event.

As I watched, I saw many weird things.  My eyes popped and my eyebrows went up at the manage a trois enactment. I couldn't believe my eyes. Hubby thought the fashion show was weirder.  But he's never seen models walk down the runway at a fashion show.  

In case you haven't ever seen a designer's fashion show, they are exotic. They are bizarre and only for fashionistas.  They're mostly for advertising, getting noticed. No lay person would wear those clothes.  This is what the fashion show at the Olympic opening was showing.  The models were modeling out of this world clothes and accessories.  Only Lady Gaga would wear these clothes, and only when performing, certainly not when mucking out the barn. The runway walk is exaggerated.  It's a type of sashay, stomach out first, tottering on unfamiliar shoes trying not to fall on your face, walk. And as each model finished her walk, she sat on the side of the runway.  

That's what I observed.

This morning, I read reviews condemning the mocking of the Last Supper.  ?????What?  When I saw the picture comparing the fashionistas to Jesus and the Apostles, I could see it, but to tell you the truth, if it weren't pointed out to me, I would never have noticed.


The picture is certainly taken out of context.  The people were models who had performed and sat on the side of the runway.  There were many, many, not just thirteen.

I also learned that the theme of the opening ceremony was France's historical culture: the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Am I too American provincial not to appreciate the "manage a trois", and the Last Supper references?

If so, good.  Let's get to the gymnastics and swimming.



No comments:

Respect

A former Correctional Officer told a wonderful story, today. He was reminiscing about his first day as a CO.  As he was making his morning r...