Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2018

The First Step in Prayer


I've been praying all my life and I just learned that I'm doing it wrong.  I know not to harangue God with "Give me"s.  And I pray in thanksgiving and praise, so I thought I had it covered.  Praying, that is.

Well, in this morning's Lectio Divina, I realized that I've missed the listening for God's voice.  I know that's part of meditation and I do meditate and listen to the Lord.  But I never realized that the listening was the very first step!

Is not the Shema the most important prayer in the Jewish faith?  Hear, O Israel! ... (Deuteronomy 6: 4-5)

Did not God look and call out to Adam and Eve, "Where are you?" (Genesis 3: 8-9)

Did not God get Moses attention in the burning bush?  (Exodus 3: 2-4)

Did not God wake Samuel up?  (1 Samuel 3: 3-4)

Did not Jesus talk to the Samaritan woman at the well, first?  (John 4: 7)

Get it?  The first step in praying is to listen.  That's first.  If you hear nothing, start talking to God.  Then listen.  You could try reading and then listening.

You will hear God's voice through your thoughts.  

No comments:

Sisterhood

  Sisterhood Two girls, who like to play sisters. Both wear different headscarves. One is a hijab. One is a tichel. Will we grow old? Will w...