Search This Blog

Friday, March 31, 2017

Self Control


Specifically speaking, an unhealthy lifestyle is a sin.  Obviously, sexual promiscuity is sinful.  But I'd like to focus this post on eating and exercising. If we don't honor the gift of life God gave to us, we are sinning.  We need to honor our bodies as God's creation by taking care of them.  Smoking is unhealthy and should be avoided.  Why put smoke into our lungs?

God gave us grapes for eating and drinking, but too much is the sin of gluttony.  Proverbs 28: 7 warns us, "He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father."

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are immorality, uncleanness, licentiousness, idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, jealousies, anger, quarrels, factions, parties, envies, murders, drunkenness, carousings, and such like.  And concerning these, I warn you, as I have warned you, that they who do such things will not attain the kingdom of God.  Galatians: 5: 19-21

Having self-control is one of the fruits given to us by the Holy Spirit in Confirmation Galatians 5: 22.

Also, having been given limbs (arms and legs) by God, I think we should use them.  One of the first things hospitals have you do, is "get up."  Nowadays, we sit too much.

My day today: moved from my bed to a chair to drink coffee
                         moved from the chair to another chair to pray the Divine Office
                         move from the chair to the chair I'm sitting in now

Note:  More time sitting than moving

The least we could do is walk.  Since it is still the Lenten season, I'm going to make a conscious effort to honor God's creation of me and practice more self control.  Choosing healthy food and walking is my aim, so help me God.





No comments:

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...