Search This Blog

Friday, September 25, 2009

Real Men Aren't Afraid to Cry


One of my favorite blogs has been Kicking and Screaming, which is written by a Paulist Seminarian. The blog journals Tom's life in the seminary. He makes me laugh, think, and pray for him.

Anyway, I was drawn to read an old post of his from a couple of years back, on...I'd say "discernment." He was bitching and moaning on "moving forward." One statement resonated with me: "I'm afraid to express, tears that a part of me thinks will not make me a man if I cry, a loss of control my ego is not comfortable with, and a fear of losing love in my life."

Don't you think that's sad? Thank God I'm a woman and can freely cry and be emotional when the occasion calls for it. Women are blessed not to have that hangup. (Ha! Take that AQ)

I've seen my husband cry a few times, when the occasion demanded it. When Shanana died, his sister died, at Cheryl and Karen's wedding, and at a very personal moment. Dick makes fun of me crying at cartoons, parades, and baseball games but it's affectionate teasing. But he holds me when I need it and he's not afraid to cry himself. Thank you Lord.

Again.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...