Search This Blog

Saturday, September 19, 2009

God's Ways

Pondering.

In my last post, I gushed over Karen's wedding. A few days later, my 24 year old nephew died. The newspaper will say he died suddenly. He's young and his veins were blown in a culture that lied and lured his youth away.

My daughter is starting a new life. My son is on vacation in Spain. My other child is happy and secure. My nephew is dead.

God's ways are not my ways, that's for sure. I'm only looking at my little part of the world wide history that God has ordered. Who am I to question?

I just want to thank you, Lord, for Cheryl, Karen and Mark.

3 comments:

brandon field said...

The night before our wedding, my wife's grandmother died. She was sitting in the lobby of her condo, waiting for her daughter to bring the car around to drive her down to the wedding and her heart stopped. She was buried in the dress that she had bought out to wear for our wedding.

Jewish marriage ceremonies include the breaking of a glass to remind us that even in the midst of celebration there is always suffering. God took care of that for us.

My prayers are with you.

Faith said...

OMG! Did you, the wedding couple know she had died, or did you learn of it after the ceremony?
One of the intercessory prayers said "...and for those who have gone before us to the other side of life. For the fulfillment of all their unfulfilled desires--
let us pray to the Lord."
This was specifically chosen because the groom's grandfather had died during this past year. It would have been so apropos regarding what had happened to the grandmother before your wedding.
God's timing is questioned with our eyes.

brandon field said...

Yes, we found out right after the rehearsal dinner. It made the whole event a little surreal, but it certainly evaporated any illusion that the day was supposed to be "perfect" or anything like that.

We added her to the intercessions, but we didn't tell any details to anyone who wasn't part of the family, because we didn't want to make it awkward for anyone.

We went to the wake and funeral on Monday and Tuesday after the wedding, and moved our honeymoon from M-Th to Tu-F. Luckily, we were weren't flying, just driving, and the place we were staying was understanding and switched our reservations.

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...