Search This Blog

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Boston Accents

 LECTIO:   Psalm 95: 1-2 6-7, 8-9 (8)

Come, let us sing joyfully to the Lord;
   let us acclaim the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;
   let us joyfully sing psalms to him.
If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Come, let us bow down in worship;
   let us kneel before the Lord who made us
For he is our God,
   and we are the people he shepherds
The flock he guides.
If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Oh that today you would hear his voice;
   "Harden not your hearts as at Meribah,
   as in the day of Massah in the desert,
Where your fathers tempted me;
   they tested me though they had seen my works.
If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

STUDIO:

I hate to read this psalm outloud because everyone will have a smirk on their face.  They're smirking about my Boston accent.  There's something about the way a Bostonian pronounces "ar" that is different from the rest of the world.  I'm told it sounds like "hahden not your hahts."  So instead of praying for purification and strength, which this psalm is doing, I'm trying not to pronounce "ah".

If this psalm sounds familiar it is probably because you use it as the invitatory to the Liturgy of the Hours. It calls for the people to be faithful and stronger than their ancestors. 

MEDITATIO:

Evidently, the Israelites didn't listen to God at Meribah.  I hope my heart is always open to hear the Lord.  And I hope God likes Boston accents.

ORATIO:

Lord, may I always be open to You.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Harden not my heart, Lord.




No comments:

Birthdays

 Two birthday parties mentioned in the Bible are one by an Egyptian Pharaoh and Herod.  The Pharaoh doesn't have a name but he threw him...