Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

How to Pray When You Are Put on the Spot

You are eating with friends in a restaurant, they ask you to pray the blessings.

Before the meeting begins, Father asks you to pray to begin the meeting.

Just before leaving the sacristry to process to Mass, the celebrant asks you to pray.

What do you do?  Pray the Lord's Prayer.  Don't you wish you could just rattle off a prayer like the charismatics do?

I've often wished this.  I call it the gift of prayer.  I've prayed for that gift.  My friend, Bert, gave me a lesson plan called, "You, Who, Do, Through."  I don't know where he got it, so if anyone knows, tell me in a comment, and I will give credit.  I'll explain this method in my own words.

When you are put on the spot to pray, think "You, Who, Do, Through."  Use it as an outline.

You
Call God a name, e.i., Lord, Father, Beloved, Holy Spirit, Jesus, God, etc.

Who
Address God in terms relating to what you are praying for.  If you want to pray for healing, then
Lord,
You who cure the blind and make lepers clean...
If you are about to begin a meeting, then
Lord,
You who are wisdom Yourself...      or    You who guide all decisions....

Do
Present your petition:
Lord,
You who cure the blind and make lepers clean, I ask You to heal my friend, who has cancer.
or
Lord,
You who are wisdom Yourself, please be with us during this meeting.
Lord,
You who guide all decisions, help us decide wisely according to Your Will.

Through
Prayers usually end with "through Christ our Lord."  There's a longer version; "Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever."
Lord,
You who cure the blind and make lepers clean, I ask You to heal my friend, who has cancer.  Through Christ our Lord.  Amen.
Lord,
You who guide all decisions, help us decide wisely according to Your Will. Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever."  Amen.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...