Search This Blog

Friday, November 17, 2017

A Worthy Wife

Lectio:

Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 157


Reading 1PRV 31:10-13, 19-20, 30-31

When one finds a worthy wife,
her value is far beyond pearls.
Her husband, entrusting his heart to her,
has an unfailing prize.
She brings him good, and not evil,
all the days of her life.
She obtains wool and flax
and works with loving hands.
She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her fingers ply the spindle.
She reaches out her hands to the poor,
and extends her arms to the needy.
Charm is deceptive and beauty fleeting;
the woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her a reward for her labors,
and let her works praise her at the city gates.

Studium: 
This reading id organized by the letters of the Hebrew alphabet, each verse begins with the next consecutive letter.  It's an acrostic pattern.
      The message is telling what the ideal wife is.  This woman is a good worker, loyal, a good mother, and contributor to society.  But her best virtue is her spiritual goodness because she fears the Lord.  The verses are often used in marriage ceremonies.
Meditatio:
Lord, I need a wife like this.  Where can I find one?  Lord, all joking aside, what person, never mind female, has all these qualities?  These attributes seem as impossible to all females as having Barbie's attributes.  They are unreal.
        Even so, I try.  Hopefully I come as close as I can.
Oratio:
You are God and I, all too well, know I am not. You are perfect and I am not. You ask me to imitate You and to try to be perfect like you, and this ideal woman.  I will try with the help of Your grace.
Contemplatio:
Help me Lord, be a worthy wife.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...