Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Spanish Cooking

In my conversational Spanish class, we translate articles we read in Spanish.  To be different, I decided to translate a recipe.  To get an "A" for a grade, I decided to make the dish and bring it to class to eat.

The dish was Pez Amarillo.  The translation is Yellow Fish.  It didn't come out like the picture but it tasted good.  The fish was supposed to be catfish.  Well, the fish markets around here don't carry catfish.  I thought tilapia would taste like it.  Unfortunately, I shouldn't have gone with "taste," but rather texture.  The picture shows a fish that looks like kabobs.  The tilapia disintegrated into rice-looking tiny flakes.


Another problem was the measurements.  Instead of teaspoon and tablespoon, the Spanish said "g."   It couldn't mean gram; that's too much.  The teacher said it meant, "grain."  Grain!  How could I separate one grain out of a powder of cumin?

Then in the preparation, the directions said to add the Biscayne Cream.  Where did that come from?  Nowhere on the page is that term.  I had to google what that was.

Anyway, the teacher was impressed and the students enjoyed the fish.

No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...