Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2016

My Business versus Your Business

At  first, I intended this post to be a Lectio Divina for 2 Thessalonians 3: 7-12, since I'll be reading that this morning, at Mass.  But the verse, "We hear that some are conducting themselves among you in a disorderly way, by not keeping busy but minding the business of others," reminded me of something my granddaughter said.

Yesterday, I went to pick up my two-year-old granddaughter for her swimming lesson. Of course, I said "Good morning," to everybody else.  The two-year-old's sister wasn't in the room but I could hear thrashing noises coming from the play room.  I went in there to say, "Good morning."  But her response shocked me.

"Is this any of your business?"

"Oka-a-a-y.  Goodbye."  And I left.

I found out that this morning she wasn't allowed any TV or anything until she cleaned up her play room.  So that was her business and not mine.

Similarly, the Thessalonians should have been tending to their own work and not wasting time.  Paul offered his example to follow: "For we did not act in a disorderly way among you, nor did we eat food received free from anyone.  On the contrary, in toil and drudgery, night and day we worked, so as not to burden any of you."

Far be it from me to stress out my older granddaughter doing an unpleasant task.  I had my own assignment to fulfill.  As Paul would scold, "Hush and go do your job!"

(Maybe Coach Belichick gets that expression from Paul.) 

No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...