Search This Blog

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Praying

In reading books about prayer, I realize, that I'm not praying.  My reading is interfering with my
praying.

Once before I noticed that too much thinking interfered with my prayer life.

Why is prayer so difficult for me?  I'm so busy reading about prayer that I don't leave time to pray.  Then I think of reasons why I can't pray and realize that the very act of thinking about thinking is interfering.

This is when the Jesus Prayer is best.  "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me."  My personal mantra is good too, "All is passing; God alone abiding."  The Rosary always works. Saying these prayers over and over, gradually sweep away all the confusing, demanding voices in my head.

I know!  Psalm writing is really focused prayer.  That's what I'll do.  Thank you, Jesus!

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...