Search This Blog

Friday, August 16, 2013

Dying Alone

Once in a while internet quizzes are sent around.  I noticed that a co-worker always put “dying alone,” as her greatest fear. 

I’ve thought a lot about that.  Don’t we all die alone?  We are born alone, so wouldn’t dying be done likewise?  You are born and your mother is there, hopefully a doctor, and nurses, but the newborn isn’t aware of that.  Whatever that baby is experiencing, is something only the baby knows.  That’s what I mean by we were born alone.

Maybe when we die we find ourselves welcomed by choirs of angels.  Who knows?  But we have to die ourselves first, and that’s something only we, alone, can do.

Even if one is surrounded by loved ones, emotionally and mentally, you could be alone.  Someone could be holding your hand and you may not be aware of it. 

If you die praying, you’re not alone.  God is always with us, praying or not.  I hope to remember that. 


I think I’m trying to say that dying is part of life.  We all die alone.  No one can go with us.  Let us just pray for a peaceful death.

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...