Search This Blog

Friday, June 14, 2013

Fat Rapunzel

This is a skit, I've made for my  T.O.P.S. chapter.  What do you think?



Rapunzel
 4 people: narrator reads the bold parts.  Rapunzel.  Prince.  Mother.
Props:  ladder and a large ribbon
###
Nowadays, it is very hard for a single mom to raise a daughter all by herself.  This mother thinks that she has solved the problem by locking her daughter, Rapunzel, in the tower of their attic, at the very top of their old Victorian house.
        There Rapunzel grows up to be a beautiful teenager.  Although she has everything she could possibly want, Rapunzel doesn’t get enough exercise living in a one room tower.  This doesn’t really bother her all that much, after all, who cares if she’s fat.  She never sees anybody except her mother.  So she wiles away her time by reading and listening to music.  She likes to sing, however, and daydreams that she’s a famous opera star, traveling around the world singing in opera houses.
        One day, a handsome prince hears the beautiful voice and follows the music.  He is enthralled to see a beautiful girl, way up in the window of the tower.  As he looks up and enjoys the music, we join him…
Prince:  Her voice is so beautiful.  She is beautiful, too.  I could listen to her forever.
The prince claps, when the song ends.  (Clap, Clap, Clalp)
Rapunzel:  Oh!  You startled me.  I didn’t see you.
Prince:  Please don’t stop singing, beautiful lady.  You sing so beautifully.
Rapunzel:  You embarrass me.  I –I – I don’t think I can sing, anymore.
Prince:  What a pity!  What is your name?
Rapunzel:  Rapunzel
Prince:  Come down so we can get to know each other.
Rapunzel:  I can’t.  I’m  locked in this tower.
Prince:  Why?
Rapunzel:  My mother loves me and is so afraid of the world.  I’m locked away to keep me safe.
Prince:  I’ll protect you.  Ask your mother to let you out.
Rapunzel:  OK.  I will ask her tonight when she brings my supper. 
Prince:  I’ll come back tomorrow, the same time.  Good-bye beautiful lady.
Rapunzel:  Goodbye, sweet prince.
Later on in the day, Rapunzel’s mother unlocks the door to the tower and brings in a huge platter of spaghetti and meatballs, garlic Italian bread, butter, whole chocolate milk, and pecan pie with ice cream. 
Rapunzel: Oh mother, thank you.  The most wonderful thing happened today.
Mother:  Yes dear.
Rapunzel:  I met the most handsome prince, and he wants me to leave the tower, and go down to meet him.
Mother:  What!  Oh dear, this is what I was always afraid of.  Think Rapunzel.  Why does he want to meet you?
Rapunzel:  He likes my singing.
Mother:  Ha!  Don’t be naïve.  You think he’s impressed?  Wait till he sees you.  You are over twenty  pounds over-weight.   He’ll back off faster than ice cream on a hot day.
Rapunzel:   oh (sadly)
Mother:  Never mind, my dear.  Mumzie loves you.  Now be a good girl and clean your plate, I’ll be up later and we can play cards.
Poor Rapunzel ate her food choking back deep sobs.  What can she do?  Fate is so cruel.  She finally meets a young handsome prince, and she’s too ugly to let him see her. 
      The next day, the prince comes back.
Prince:  Rapunzel, Rapunzel, come out and play.
Rapunzel:  I can’t dear prince.  My mother forbids it.  I must stay in the tower.  But I will sing you a song.
Prince:  But why?
Rapunzel:  Because it’s safer than outside.  What song would you like to hear?
Prince:  I don’t understand.
Rapunzel changes the subject by singing.  She sings so beautiful that the prince is lost in thought.  When she finishes, they bid each other good night.
     The next day, he’s back.
Prince:  Rapunzel, how’s this idea?   If you can’t come down, can I come up?
Rapunzel:  Er…er…er The room is a mess.  I’m embarrassed for you to see it.  
Prince:  I don’t care about the room.  I just care about you.  You can clean the room and tomorrow I’ll bring a ladder.
Now what was Rapunzel going to do?  Once the prince saw how overweight she was, he’d never come back.  Maybe she’ll tell him she’s very sick with something contagious.
     The next day, he’s back.
Prince:  Rapunzel, I’m here with a ladder.  Let me come up.
Rapunzel:  NO!  No, you can’t.  I’m sick.  I’m sick with measles.  It’s highly contagious.
Prince:  That doesn’t bother me.  I’ve been inoculated. 
And the prince starts to climb up.  But the ladder is too short to reach all the way to the window. 
Prince:  Oh Rapunzel, what can I do? 
Rapunzel:  Whew!  Oh.  I mean, Oh Well!  Maybe it’s not meant to be.  Let’s just talk and get to know one another.
Prince:  We’ve done that.  And I already know that I love you.
Rapunzel:  And I love you.  But you, well, you don’t really know me.
Prince:  I do.  I love you.
Rapunzel:  What if I’m fat and ugly?
Prince:  I’ve gotten to know a beautiful girl.  If the outside of this beautiful girl is fat and ugly, that won’t matter at all.  That’s just the outside.
Rapunzel:  Really?
Prince:  Yes, I mean it.

Rapunzel:  Well, I could let down all my hair, and you could climb up.
Which was exactly what the prince did.  The prince and Rapunzel are together.  And he was not repulsed by Rapunzel’s weight, at all.  She was not ugly, just overweight, and he knew exactly what to do about that.
Prince:  Rapunzel, it’s no wonder you’re overweight.  You don’t get enough exercise.  You won’t be able to escape out of this tower if you can’t fit through the window.  Let’s set up an exercise regimen.
Rapunzel:  Yes, you are so right.  I get no exercise at all.  And I’ll eat less.  My aim is to fit through that window to be with you.
We will now fast forward to a month, ahead.  Rapunzel has been dancing to her singing.  She has taken up zumba and pilates.  She also dropped out of the clean plate club and told mumzie that she wants salad to be part of her dinner and cut the portions drastically.  Mumzie wanted to keep Rapunzel happy and Rapunzel never seemed happier.  The prince came everyday.
Prince:  Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair. 
Rapunzel:  Here you are.
Prince:  My goodness.  Look at you.  Your clothes are too big for you.
Rapunzel:  I’ve lost ten pounds.
Prince:  I think if you keep the regimen up, we can elope, next month.  Let’s dance to that.
And so Rapunzel and the prince danced the night away, planning their elopement.  The prince made wedding arrangements and planned the great escape.  Finally, the day came.
Prince:  Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair.
Rapunzel:  Here you are.  Why, what are you carrying?
Prince:  Rapunzel, you can fit through the window now.  You can also fit this engagement ring on, and the wedding ring that awaits you.  Here is a strong satin ribbon to tie on the bed post, so you can lower yourself out the window.
Rapunzel:  The ring fits!!  And I fit through the window! 
Prince:  Rapunzel you have made me so happy.
Rapunzel: You have made me happy too.  Who knew what exercise and eating less would do?

 


Simple Explanation of the Mass

 Everything you ever wanted to learn about the Catholic Mass is explained by Mike Aquilina's Understanding the Mass .  This little book,...