Big Losers and Big Winners


When you're dieting, then losing is winning.  In diet clubs, the biggest losers, are the biggest winners.  Therefore, it seems, that winning is a matter of definition.

I was trying to explain this at cribbage, the other day.  The person I was talking to, couldn't fathom why anyone would play a game, knowing that they'd probably lose.  Well, it so happens, that I take an elderly friend to play cribbage.  If the truth be known, I only go for her.  I'm not that interested.  My friend and I are partners.  I wouldn't change partners.  Friendship is more important to me than winning.

Some of my kids are runners.  They have yet to win a race and probably never will.  They don't run to be first; they run for different reasons, and when that reason is satisfied, then they win:

          They join in the race.
          They give it their best.
          They don't give up.
          They endure and persist.
          They cross the finish line, sooner than last time.

That's how I play cribbage.  My friend and I begin together; we have fun; we end together; we shared a good time.  In my mind, we won.


Popular posts from this blog

Posterity

Re-examen