Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Jesse Tree

Tonight in prayer group, we made a Jesse tree.  A Jesse tree doesn't have to be a tree.  It can be a branch stuck in a pail.  One year, I used an earring tree.  You just need something to hang ornaments on.

I got this tree at Sister Ruth's store, the Hope Chest.  When I was paying for it, the cashier, Gary, asked me why was I buying a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I explained that I wanted it for a Jesse Tree.  I also just sent him a slide show of us making it.

The ornaments can be bought, but they have to represent Jesus' family tree.  The ornaments start with Jesse.  Jesse was the father of  King David of the Old Testament. He is often looked upon as the first person in the genealogy of Jesus.  The ornaments show the relationship of Jesus with Jesse and other biblical personages.  The various branches have pictures of other Old and New Testament figures who were ancestors of Jesus. At the top of the tree is the birth of Jesus.

I used figures from the internet.  Sorry, I can't remember where.  Just google Jesse tree, and I'm sure you'll find some.  We colored them, cut them out, and hung them.  

The idea is to read the scripture verse each day, on the appropriate ornament.  You start the first day of Advent, and continue until Christmas.  



What do you think?

Simple Explanation of the Mass

 Everything you ever wanted to learn about the Catholic Mass is explained by Mike Aquilina's Understanding the Mass .  This little book,...