Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Lectoring Teaches Self-knowledge

Being a "lector" has taught me 10 things I didn't know about myself.  
  • I have an accent.  In reading "harden not your hearts," a person from New Jersey told me that I have a Boston accent.  Imagine.  New Jersey?
  • I need to use a microphone.  My voice is low and soft.  Elderly can't hear me, even if I shout.  The pitch of my voice is too low, for them.  
  • Too many people come late.  I think some people think the Mass time means leave your house at that time.  It scares me to announce what Sunday this is, and then when I go to read the First Reading--WHOA!  Where did all the people come from? 
  • Check out the Prayers of the Faithful with the names in the bulletin.  Sometimes mistakes have been made.  
  • Occasionally, I'm drafted to be an altar server, too.  Pay attention.
  • Breath control.  Silence is powerful, knowing when to use it is even more so.
  • When I make a mistake, it's a blessing.  I need to be humble.
  • Dealing with doubt.  Like mistakes, God is keeping me humble.  I have to look at it as a grace.
  • Being close to the "action", is a great privilege.  My prayer is more intense.
  • I've become closer to St. Dominic, the founder of the Order of Preachers.  Praying for his intercession before reading is a great focusing tool.                                                                                                                                    St. Dominic open hearts and minds to hear and accept the Words, I proclaim.  

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...