Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mercy Not Sacrifice--Lenten Spin

I can't get serious today. I'm in a wonderful mood. Since I couldn't settle down this morning, the psalm I was trying to write does indeed incorporate citations to emphasize, and questions to engage you. But it's not what you expect.

For Lent I drink my coffee black.
"Yuck!" but it's the least I can do.
I explain to You, with each forced gulp,
"This is a real sacrifice, don't scorn my love.

It does not compare to Your Calvary.
I'm thinking of the offer of common wine,
as You hung on the cross and thirsted.
Does my intent have meaning?

But You say, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'
So My Love, forgive my joy on Sunday.
Everyone has an opinion on Lenten Sundays.
Some say 'Sundays in Lent don't count.'

Lord, you know me all too well.
Monday-Friday I'll drink my coffee black.
Sundays, I'll use cream and sugar.
Then I'll sing Glory and Praise to Our God."

No comments:

Simple Explanation of the Mass

 Everything you ever wanted to learn about the Catholic Mass is explained by Mike Aquilina's Understanding the Mass .  This little book,...