Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

Hurricane Irene

We finally got our electricity back.  Deo Gratias!

Let me count my blessings:
    * I found a church that had a 7:30 PM Saturday night Mass.  My church dropped it's 7 PM Sat. Mass and
     that was the one I use to go to, when I wasn't down the Cape.  Since then, I never have found my niche.  I
     just can't find a Mass that I feel comfortable with.  You have to be Catholic to know what I mean.  It's a
     biological/spiritual thing.

    *I really got into the next book club book and I didn't like it, or get it, until today--page 76.  The book is         Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson.  If it weren't for Hurricane Irene, I probably would have  put the book away.  It's humor.  I didn't realize that until I was up to page 76.  It's that stiff obvious English observation, stated so matter-of-factly, that got me.  The Major was eating  at a restaurant and wondering what" holes in the face disease" all the young servers had.  You know what he was referring to?  This made me laugh out loud.  He was looking at the body piercings the kids have: nose, lips, eyebrows, tongue, etc.  But their work made them take out the rings, so all the Major saw was the "holes."

    *I caught up on all my letter writing.

    *I did the final edit for eLumen for September.

    * I outline my talk for the Providence, RI Lay Dominican Chapter on Sept. 11.  I outlined my talk for the Camden, NJ Lay Dominican Chapter on Sept. 21.

    * I feel good that I'm on top of everything.
   
     * My prayer life got a boost.

Let me count the bad.  (I looked up the antonym for blessings in the thesaurus and there really wasn't one.)

   #  I haven't taken a shower in a couple of days.

   #  No coffee.

   #  No TV

   #  No hot food.  We grilled meat, but oatmeal wasn't conducive to bar-be-que.

   #  My iPhone almost got used up.  

   #  My Kindle almost died.

   #  Had to do dishes by hand.

   #  Couldn't blog.

And I have to laugh at National Grid.  You would never know that they're in the communication business.  You'd think they'd have state of the art computers that could pin point important information.  The minute we got out power back the phone rang with an automated message from National Grid telling us that we wouldn't have the power back for a few days!  LOL.
   It gets funnier.  An hour later we receive a call from National Grid telling us that we wouldn't have power until this weekend.    
   And they're in the communication business?
   I'm not talking about their work, the quality of their work, the speed, the efficiency, etc.  I'm not judging that at all.  After all, we were fixed in a day.  I can't complain about their service.  I just think that their public relation communications need to be reassessed and fixed.  It's laughable.  

No comments:

Hands Up Don't Shoot

  Our Lady of Ferguson Icon by Mark Doox Icons are written because they are stories. This story began in the city of Ferguson, Missouri, whi...