Search This Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Missing the Point

"What do you think?" is the question I ask, when people say they read my Letter to the Editor.  "I thought it was good."  they respond.

???????  What are they thinking?  They miss the point.  I wrote a letter to my Archdiocesan newspaper, The Pilot, commending Stephen Kent's opinion article, "A Catholic newspaper is a necessity."  I commented that I agree with Stephen Kent, that most Catholics don't know the Catholic perspective on current events.  Catholics don't keep up with the Catholic explanations on pertinent issues.  All they hear is the secular, often anti-Catholic sound bites, that Catholics are anti-women and anti-gays, etc.

You can't expect catechesis in a homily.  That's not what they're for.  People have to keep cognizant the same way they do with sports, or politics, i.e., listen and read.  Stephen Kent was saying that that's the value of a Catholic newspaper.  It's a way for Catholics to get their news based on a background of dogma and tradition.  That's one way.

My letter was agreeing with Kent.  Stephen Kent's article is the one my friends should have read, not my letter.  I guess I failed.  How can I direct people to read the article I'm referencing?  

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...