Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2011

Our Lady of Fatima

Today is the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima.  I live near Fatima Shrine in Holliston, MA.  I've been there quite often to pray.  It's a quiet place and pleasant to walk around.  It probably has the world's largest Rosary.  It's made out of boulders attached by the types of chains you see on ocean liners--huge, big things.  On the single beads (boulders)  are plaque of the Hail Mary in different languages.  It's a prayerful place.

The religious order that takes care of the shrine are Xaverian Missionaries.  They're good guys.  I like them all.  They are known for the many activities that the Shrine offers to raise money: Christmas lights, fairs, concerts, and from May 13th -- Oct 13th, their Our Lady of Fatima Processions.  I had never been to their Fatima Procession.  I went tonight.

I was surprised at all the people from my parish that were there.  I saw lots of friends.  The place was mobbed.  I had a hard time finding a parking spot.  We had Mass and then a procession around the Rosary Boulders.  As we walked and prayed, we all held candles in cups.  These cups were just drinking cups--waxy paper cups with a hole in the bottom.  A candle was stuck through the hold.  The candles weren't very stable. You had to be careful, or your cup would catch on fire.  I saw two that did just that.

Afterwards, we sat in the benches and prayed Hail Mary in different languages for special intentions.  Especially, poignant was a couple of men from Libya who prayed for the safety of those fleeing from the violence in Libya.   There really is no end for needs to pray for.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...