Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Love Your Enemies

 Is it humanly possible to love your enemies?  Remember 9/11?  Did we turn the other cheek and love our enemies?

I don't think it is.  We humans aren't perfect, as our heavenly Father is.  But that doesn't mean we don't stop trying.  We have to work at it.

I can see where an individual can turn the other cheek.  I can see not wishing harm on your enemy, which to me is the equivalent of "loving your enemies."  But I can't see it collectively.  I don't think it's possible for a country to turn the other cheek and love its enemies.

In the homily for the 7th Sunday in Ordinary Time, the priest (sorry I don't know his name) told the story of Spiritual Direction.  A Directee asked the priest how he knew if he were doing what God wanted.  He thought he was doing God's work, but how does one know?  The Director asked him "Do you love your enemies?"  That's God's work.

Another story was about a small boy during the War in Kosovo.  A mother sent her little boy out with a pail of soup and a baguette of bread, to bring to his father who was on duty.  The boy got lost and found himself staring into the enemy's trench.  They saw that he was just a little child and asked if he were lost.  He said he was looking for his father.  The soldiers told the kid that his father was somewhere in the trenches over there.

The next day, the mother sent the little boy out again, with the pail of soup and bread.  Again, the little boy found himself looking down into the enemy's trench.  Again the enemy soldiers asked if he were lost.  But this time the boy answered, "No."   "My mother sent this soup and bread for you."

Love Your Enemies.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...