Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Prison Ministry

I had a great time today hanging out with people who care about things that I care about.  I went to a program at Boston College's Jesuit Prison Ministry Initiative.  The Church in the 21st Century sponsored the program "You Visited Me: The Urgent Challenge of Prison Ministry."

We were welcomed by two friends of my "cloistered brothers:"  Thomas Groome and John McDargh.  They're theology profs.  They both have visited my chapter.  The major Talk was by Sister Suzanne Jabro, CSJ.  She is the founder of Restorative Justice Works in California.  She started the Get on the Bus program.  And that's what she talked about.

The prisons in California are situated in remote areas.  They are difficult to get to because there's no public transportation  nearby.  Sister Suzanne arranged for children to take her bus to visit their incarcerated parents.  Some parents hadn't seen their children for 10 years.  I teared up watching the video of the kids seeing their mothers.

After the speaking part of the program, there were Breakout Sessions.  In my session, I met a Deacon who was also a retired sheriff.  He handed me his business card. I was shocked to see this picture on it.  I was shocked because my "cloistered brother," Marco drew this picture.  I asked the Deacon, how he got this picture, he said his friend Dan drew it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look above Jesus shoulder.  See in the bottom of the cinder block, the name Marco.  Well, wait till I tell Marco this story.

2 comments:

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

This is a beautiful story!

I am a BC alum, and have mixed feelings about the place.

I am glad to know that you guys out in Mass. are keeping the faith!

G. HUBBARD said...

lord loves, cares about, knows prisoners well-in the yard or cell does not yell or tell there 24-7-365 to answer their tough questions just bhave to ask that first question. our free SPREAD THE WORD TALK WITH THE LORD cool song lyrics free write me g. hubbard p.o. box 2232 ponte vedra fl 32004 blog http://talkwiththelord.blogspot/com/

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...