Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

The Answer to Who's this Guy?






                   Saint Pius V.

That's the answer to my previous post,  "Do you know this guy?"

Being a Dominican, of course I know who Pius V is.  But I associate him with implementing the Council of Trent, with being the model for Popes wearing white, for excommunicating Queen Elizabeth I, and for being instrumental in winning the Battle of Lepanto.

And if only I would have put a little more thought into my history, I would have tied the Rosary with winning the Battle of Lepanto.  Of course, what a dope I am!  Of course, Pius V loved the Rosary.  He credited the winning of Lepanto to praying the Rosary.

I'd like to thank Bernice, aka Marie Cecile from Soulful Longings for tickling my memory.  And to my long distance friend, Therese for kicking me in the a**.

Bernice wrote:  A Dominican priest named Michele Ghisleri ascended to the papacy in 1566, becoming the first Dominican pope. Styling himself Pius V, the new pontiff zealously promoted the Rosary, setting up the first official standards for its practice. In 1569, he officially approved the five-decade Rosary and the Fifteen Sacred Mysteries in a papal bull titled Consueverent Romani Pontifices.


Therese expanded: 
The famous Dominican Pius the V, champion of praying the Rosary to win the Battle of Lepanto, he has a picture of our Lady of Guadeloupe on the hood of his garment in the picture" The reason? - "Before departing from the Genoese port, Don John of Austria was presented by Philip II of Spain, who in turn had received from the Archbishop of Mexico City, a picture of Our Lady of Guadeloupe painted in 1570 and touched to the original. The Image was placed in the chapel of the Admiral’s vessel and together with the Genoese Andrea Doria, an invocation for protection was previous to the expedition expressed before the Image of Our Lady. Throughout the battle when the situation was unfavorable for the Catholics, the Admiral knelt before the Image and pleaded for Our Lady’s intercession. This same Image is today kept enshrined in the Church of San Stefano in Aveto, Italy. Reliable historical sources state that at a certain critical point,"http://catholicsouthernfront.wordpress.com/chapter-925-our-lady-of-the-rosary-


I get by with a little bit of help from my friends.  Deo Gratias.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...