Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Am I a too proud Pharisee?

Read Luke 18: 9-14

Read 2 Timothy 4: 6-8

What's the difference?  I know you're going to tell me that the Pharisee in Luke 18: 9-14 is giving credit to himself and not to God.  I don't see that.  Read 2 Timothy 4: 6-8.  Well?

Yeah, yeah...all the commentators say that the Pharisee's prayer was not as acceptable as the tax collector's.  And I'll take their word for it.  But the way these two readings are juxtaposed today on the Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C, certainly does not portray Paul any different than the proud Pharisee.

But Paul is a Pharisee.  And Paul's later writings show his spiritual progression, so we know him better than this quick look at the praying Pharisee.  But I think the contrast is nil, especially the juxtaposition of the two readings, today.

Let me put it this way;  which am I -- a Paul, or a proud Pharisee?

O God, I thank you for making me Catholic. 
I thank you for placing me in this country, in this time and place.
I have tried to obey your commandments and the Church's.
I thank you that I have not fallen like the rest of humanity--into our modern cultural morass.
I have always tried to do your Will.
Amen

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...