Search This Blog

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Believe It!

Father Gabriel has a nice voice.  I'm not talking about his melodious singing voice, either.  His normal, regular voice is smoothing, kind, and oh, so gentle.  He's what I picture as the quintessence of what a monk should be (Fr. AQ, excepted since he's my Spiritual Director).   Anyway, the way he read the Gospel this morning traveled that long road from my head to my heart.  John 20: 24-29.


Have you come to believe because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.


Of course, I knew that.  I did.  Didn't I?  Then why did it suddenly make me smile and be proud.  He's talking about me.  I haven't seen Christ, yet I believe--most of the time.  Today, I do.

My thoughts were confirmed by Pope St. Gregory the Great's Homily ( Hom. 26, 7-9: PL 76, 1201-1202).
Do you really believe that it was by chance that this chosen disciple (Thomas) was absent, then came and heard, heard and doubted, doubted and touched, touched and believed?  It was not by chance but in God's providence.  In a marvelous way God's mercy arranged that the disbelieving disciple, in touching the wounds of his master's body, should heal our wounds of disbelief.  The disbelief of Thomas has done more for our faith that the faith of the other disciples.


Thomas was God's instrument.  Deo Gratias.   We believe.  That's the hard part.    ....er.....not really.  Faith also needs good works.  We need to put our faith into actions.  A spiritual way of saying "Put your money where your mouth is."  The true believer practices what he believes.

Lord, grant the gift of faith to those who cannot believe without proof.

No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...