Search This Blog

Friday, September 4, 2009

Good Bye, I Love You

Bernice, my Facebook friend had a post about how shocked she was about her co-worker's exclamation that she was sick of hearing, "God Bless You," as a good-bye.

Well, it made me smile because it reminded me of a story. It is the custom in my family to say, "Good-bye, I Love You." We say it on the telephone. We sign our e-mails and tweets, that way. We say it upon leaving the house. In fact, it has become so commonplace that it really means nothing. It's like saying "Have a nice day."

One day at work, I answered the telephone to what turned out to be a wrong number. I relayed the information that this was not the correct number and automatically finished with, "Good bye, I love you."

huh.....

You know what he said?

"I love you, too!"

We laughed and hung up.

I think this is what Bernice's co-worker was trying to articulate. "God bless you," as good-bye, has become as trite as "Have a nice day."

Not that we should stop saying, "Good bye, I love you," or "God bless you," or even "Have a nice day;" they're good sentiments. But when one is in a foul mood, any cheery well wish gets on your nerves.

Say it any way.

"Have a good one."

1 comment:

Marie Cecile said...

Faith,

It's those sentiments that often change a foul mood to a delightful one when it's not expected. Such as the story you related. That is absolutely a beautiful way to end a conversation Goodbye, I Love You.

Bernice

P.S.

God Bless You!!

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...