Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Prayer

Fr. Johannes Tauler, OP, is one of the Rhineland Mystics. I was just reading about him in the Central Province's newsletter, Challenge. What I like about what I'm reading is Tauler's assessment of the best way to pray. Tauler says, "Don't imitate the prayer style of others, concentrate on the style that brings you closer to the Holy One." (ser. 73.
As one who can't get into the Ignatian steps, or falls asleep in centering prayer, I like what Tauler says. Constant prayer, like the Jesus prayer, is good. I do that often. The Lord's Prayer is our model and I often meditate and pray with that in mind.
I certainly hope that intentions count as prayer, because I intend to pray, or have my work be prayer, or remember to pray before, but...

No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...