Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Attitude

In October, I was on retreat at the Villa of Our Lady Retreat House in Mount Pocono, PA. It was run by Franciscans. Yes, we're a group of Dominicans at a Franciscan retreat house. It works for us.

Anyway, we were given pocket calendars. At the top of each month are little inspirational sayings. I like October's best. It reads, "Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it."

I've found this true. It also reminds me of my mother's motto. Whenever I asked her to help me with my homework and give me the theme of a book, she'd respond, "Life is what you make it." She was right. I used that theme for every book review I've ever had to write. It fits. It's sad too, because she had a hard life because that's how she responded to it.

"Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it." Poor Mom.

No comments:

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...